Advice on care
Impartial Care Fee Advisers

Advice on care

Experts in paying for care

Funded Nursing Care (FNC) or Registered Nursing Care Contribution

advice on care

NHS Funded Nursing Care (also referred to as Registered Nursing Care Contribution) is a benefit paid by the NHS to those who do not qualify for free NHS Continuing Healthcare but are deemed to need nursing care as opposed to just residential care. It is intended to cover the extra cost of the nursing care that a resident receives in a nursing home providing you have been formally assessed as needing nursing care. It is not paid if you simply chose to move into a nursing home without any formal assessment. It is however paid regardless of whether you are deemed to have to pay for your own care or are being funded by the Local Authority.

Funded Nursing Care is also sometimes referred to as Registered Nursing Care Contribution. It is only paid to help cover the extra cost of nursing so if you are deemed as a self-funder, you will still remain responsible for paying the cost of your own accommodation, board and personal care, although people with limited income and capital may get funding from the Local Authority see Will I need to pay for my own care.

Unlike NHS Continuing Healthcare, which can be paid in any setting, NHS Funded care or Registered Nursing Care Contribution is not payable if you continue to reside at home, or in a residential care home.

N.B. When discussing fees with any possible nursing home it is important to establish whether the fees quoted are before or after deduction of the Registered Nursing Care Contribution as care homes differ on this.

Rates of Registered Nursing Care Contribution

The amount received varies dependant on both where the person receives care and how long they have been receiving nursing care for.

The standard rate for any recent cases is now £219.71 per week in England, £201.74 per week in Wales or £104.90 per week in Scotland (for the equivalent Nursing Contribution) –2023-4 although those who were receiving the original higher rate band prior to 1/10/2007 will remain on a higher rate of £287.78 per week but still be subject to reassessment. The amount received is usually reviewed annually in April.

Funded Nursing Care is a non-taxable benefit and doesn’t affect entitlement to Attendance Allowance.

In Scotland, people needing nursing care do not receive Registered or Funded Nursing Care Contribution as such but receive instead a Nursing Care Contribution towards nursing care which is currently £104.90 per week (2023-4). They should also receive £235 per week (2023-4) towards Personal Care but would then lose Attendance Allowance.

Is NHS Funded Nursing Care awarded automatically to all entering a nursing home?

No, although entitlement is not means tested, entitlement is based on an assessment carried out by a registered nurse to confirm the need for an input from a registered nurse in meeting any care needs. Services provided regularly by a registered nurse are likely to involve:

  • provision of nursing care
  • monitoring and reviewing medication needs

Regular reviews will then take place the first being within 3 months and annually thereafter. If the person's health improves and the need for nursing decreases the contribution may even stop.

What happens if you disagree with the assessment?

If you are not awarded Funded Nursing Care and disagree with the assessment you should contact the Nursing Home Co-ordinator of your local Clinical Commission Group and ask for it to be reviewed. If you still disagree with the outcome of any review you could ask for it to be independently reviewed or even ask for an Independent Review.

Contact us

Head Office Address:
Advice on Care
267 Barrowby Road, Grantham, Lincolnshire, NG31 8NR

Telephone: 0800 180 4336



Financial News

Our Digital Magazine

To receive every issue of our magazine by email, simply register your name and email address in the form below.

Cookie Policy    Privacy Notice    Disclaimer

The information contained in this web site is for general information only and is not financial, investment or tax advice. It is also subject to the UK regulatory regime and is therefore restricted to consumers based in the UK. If you would like to discuss a particular issue or generally ask us how we can advise on your particular situation then please contact us.

FCA does not regulate Tax Planning, wills or estates.

Advice on Care is a trading name of Keith Hargraves who is an appointed representative of 2plan wealth management Ltd. Keith Hargraves is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and is entered on the FCA register ( under reference 534065.

2plan wealth management Ltd’s registered address is: 3rd Floor, Bridgewater Place, Water Lane, Leeds LS11 5BZ. Telephone 0113 302 1360. Registered in England Number 05998270.

Best Execution Policy | Conflicts of Interest Policy | Client Classification | Your Guide To Making A Complaint

© Copyright 2022 Advice on Care.